Choosing the right veterinarian for your pet is not as easy as it sounds. You want someone with whom you can build a long lasting and trusting relationship. It should be someone whom you feel comfortable working with. If you’re planning to acquire a pet, it’s better to find a vet before you bring in the pet. The vet might be of great help in assisting you to select a pet that’s best suited for your lifestyle and expectations. In addition, the vet will conduct the initial check-ups and treatments before you start living with the pet. While there are many vets in Inner West, it is always advisable to find one before you actually need one – like when the pet falls ill. So, how do you go about choosing the right Inner West vet? How can you tell that they will provide quality care for your pet?
This article will help you find Inner West Vet that best for you and your pet.
Understand the Different Types of Veterinary Practices
There are different types of vet practices found in Inner West. Understanding all of them will help you to choose the one that’s best suited for your pet.
- Small Animal Practice: They mainly deal with cats and dogs. Some provide care for birds, reptiles and pocket pets.
- Mixed Animal Practice: They are mainly found in rural settings and they care for pets in addition to cattle, sheep, horses and other farm animals.
- Exotic Clinics: They specialize in handling birds, reptiles, ferrets, pocket pets and other species other than cats and dogs.
- Mobile Practices: They travel from door to door caring for pets the same way some vets move around as they treat farm animals.
- Dog Only Clinics: They care for dogs only.
Choose a practice that specializes in the type of pet you have. For instance, if you have a dog, simply go for a dog only clinic. They are likely to provide better care to your dog.
Ask for Recommendations
The best way to find a good Inner West vet is through recommendations. Your co-workers, relatives and friends that have pets can guide to a reputable and competent vet in Inner West. Be sure to ask them the following questions: Southern Cross Vet
- Why did they choose the clinic?
- Is the clinic conveniently located?
- Are they comfortable asking the vet questions?
- Does the vet involve them in decision making?
Things to Look for at the Clinic
Make sure that you visit the clinic before you make the first appointment. This will give you a chance to examine the place and get your questions answered. Ask about the regular working hours. When is the vet available for appointments? How are emergencies handled after hours?
Ensure that you ask about their charges. Is it something you can afford to pay? Even so, the price shouldn’t be your main determining factor when selecting a vet. A quality veterinary service mostly comes at an extra cost. It’s also important to check the kind of services they provide to ensure that everything your pet requires will be provided. The services include medical exams, dentistry, nutrition counseling, endoscopy, ultrasonography, radiology and laboratory testing among others.